Nothing screams celebration more than a delicious cake! We love this recipe from Avonmore that tastes every bit as good as it looks. We hope you enjoy if you try.
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 225g plain flour, sifted
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 229 ml double cream
- 2 tbsp raspberry jam
- 225g fresh raspberries
- 225g icing sugar
- 1 tsp rose extract
- 350ml Avonmore whipped cream, to serve.
- Heat the oven to 180c. Line 2 x 20 cm sandwich tins with parchment.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and caster sugar using an electric mixer until it is pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix after each addition. Using a spatula fold the flour through until it’s fully incorporated. Add the vanilla extract and stir through.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins, level off the mixture and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tins, turn out when fully cooled, peel off the parchment.
- Whisk the cream until it forms soft peaks. Use to top one of the cakes. Drizzle with jam and scatter on most of the raspberries. Top with the second cake.
- In a small bowl, mash 10 raspberries, put through a sieve and collect the juice.
- Add some of this juice along with the rose extract to the icing sugar, mix carefully adding more juice until the icing is a smooth runny consistency, take care it’s easy to add too much.
- Ice the top of the cake, allow some to drip down the sides. Decorate with the remaining raspberries and crystallised rose petals.
- (To crystallise rose petals, brush unsprayed rose petals with egg whites, dust with caster sugar and allow to dry.)
- Serve with whipped cream.