100% Irish grown basil and award-winning pesto made in Galway
Pestle + Mortar celebrates one full year of basil growing in Galway for their award winning pestos. Everyone loves an anniversary and they are celebrating their first year of growing basil in their digital vertical farm; two doors from their production kitchen in Galway. Pestle + Mortar love to grow in all ways and they’ve certainly grown their knowledge of digital farming and the wonders of pesticide free growing and hand harvesting – in charge of this project is Mary Gavaghan, one of their expert Production Supervisors, literally nurturing the very basil which goes into their multi award winning pestos.
Team Pestle + Mortar have long been believers that pesto pretty much goes with everything and work in partnership with the multi talented Jennifer Oppermann on recipes and ideas (@jenniferocooks, recipe developer, food stylist and photographer).
For summer, who could beat ‘Nduja Pizza, or Seafood with Pesto? ‘Nduja is a spicy, spreadable pork sausage originating from Southern Italy. It packs a punch and is a brilliant foil for silky smooth basil pesto. Irish seafood with Irish pesto is an absolute stand out combination with almost endless possibilities.
In further good news, Pestle + Mortar is bringing hummus dips to shelves this summer. A range of earthy and smooth, rich and classic flavours, they’ve brought all our expertise to these delicious dips. With no additives or preservatives, there are hints of lemon (so not overpowering) and packed with umami. Delivers on the protein as well! The collection will start with the launch of Classic Hummus, Caramalised Onion Hummus and of course Basil Pesto Hummus!
Two Recipes to Try
- 100ml white wine
- 2 shallots cut finely
- 500g clean prepped mussels (beards removed etc)
- 2 tbsp green pesto
- Lemon wedges
- Crusty Bread to Serve
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the shallots for 4-5 mins until softened.
- Pour in the wine, add and bubble for 2 mins.
- Add in the mussels.
- Cover and cook for 5 mins until all the shells have opened.
- Discard any that remain closed.
- Transfer the mussels to a serving dish, stir in the pesto and toss well.
- Garnish with lemon wedges and serve with crusty bread.
‘Nduja Pizza with Pesto
- Pizza base
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 mozzarella ball
- ½ tub green pesto
- 1 onion sliced and caramelised
- 50g ‘nduja sausage cut into small bite-sized pieces
- Basil for garnishing
- Spread the tomato sauce over the base with a spatula, leaving the crust (1 inch) free from the sauce.
- Drizzle on the green pesto then the onion, nduja, tear the mozzarella and place out evenly on top.
- Bake the pizza until the cheese has melted and the crust is a deep golden brown.
- Garnish with basil.
Pestle + Mortar Sauces are available in the refrigerated chiller section of selected Tesco Ireland stores, Spar and Joyce’s of Galway. Our hummus range launches in Tesco Ireland this summer. To find out more about Pestle + Mortar Pesto Sauces and even more inspirational ideas https://pandmsauces.com/inspiration/