Everyone has their favourite part of the Christmas meal, and for many it’s the stuffing. The practical shape of this clever stuffing roll recipe means it takes up very little space in the oven, as it can be slid in alongside a larger roasting tin. However, it can also be used to stuff the bird. Whatever you decide to do with it, it can be prepared up to three days in advance as long as the sausages are nice and fresh, meaning all you need to do on the big day is remember to pop it into the oven.
– 100g (4oz) butter
– 1 onion, finely chopped
– 300g (11oz) good-quality sausagemeat
– 175g (6oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
– 50g (2oz) dried cranberries
– 1 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
– 2 tsp chopped fresh mixed herbs (use a mixture of sage, rosemary and thyme)
– sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/gas mark 6).
2. Melt the butter in a sauté pan set over a medium heat, then add the onion and sauté for about 5 minutes, until softened. Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the sausagemeat, breadcrumbs, dried cranberries and herbs, then season generously.
3. Shape into a large roll, then wrap in a layer of parchment paper and tin foil, twisting the ends securely to seal. Cook in the oven for about 45 minutes, until cooked through and t ender. Unwrap just before cutting into slices to serve.