Loaded with delicious chocolate and tempting cherries, this is a quick to make, moist and fudgy cake you won’t forget. Treat yourself to a slice of pure indulgence.
- 220g plain flour
- 60g cocoa powder
- 350g granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 120ml vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 240ml freshly brewed strong hot coffee
- 200g fresh cherries, pitted and halved
For the Ganache Icing:
- 300ml double cream
- 220g Lily O’Brien’s Mega Milk Chocolate (2 share bags) roughly chopped
- 300g icing sugar
- Fresh cherries for the garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan. Lightly grease two 22cm cake tins and line the base and sides with baking paper.
- Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk the oil, eggs and vanilla together until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, add the hot water/coffee, and whisk until the batter is completely combined. The batter will be quite thin.
- Divide batter evenly between pans and dot the pitted cherries evenly between the two pans over the mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove the cakes from the oven and set on a wire rack. Allow to cool completely in the pan.
- For the ganache icing, place the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to just below boiling point. Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Pour over the hot cream and stir until melted and smooth. Allow to cool slightly.
- Combine the ganache and icing sugar thoroughly.
- Once the cakes have fully cooled, assemble the layers. Place the first layer on a serving plate then spread with half the ganache. Repeat with the next layer of cake and spread the remaining ganache on top and garnish with fresh cherries, if using.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Cake can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 days